The 2020 Census
IT'S EASY. YOU CAN DO IT ONLINE IN MINUTES
Why should you participate in the 2020 Census? There are a few reasons ...
- It's quick and easy! The 2020 Census questionnaire will take about 10 minutes to complete.
- It's Safe, secure, and confidential. Your information and privacy are protected. You will not be asked to provide your social security number, bank account/credit card details, or any other personal identification information.
- Funding for community services. Your response helps to direct billions of dollars in federal funds to local communities for schools, roads, and other public services.
- Representation in Washington, DC. Results from the 2020 Census will be used to determine the number of seats each state has in Congress and your political representation at all levels of government.
You should have already received an envelope from the U.S. Census Bureau inviting you to fill out your Census form. These envelopes will contain an ID code and instructions from the Bureau on how to get counted in the 2020 Census.
How to Respond:
- Online. Go to my2020census.gov, click the "Start Questionnaire" button and follow the prompts. Make sure to have your Census 2020 invite handy. You will need the unique Census ID assigned to your address.
- Phone. If you need help or would prefer to respond by phone, toll-free numbers are available in 14 languages. Phone lines are open daily, 7am - 8pm EST. For support in English, call 1-844.330.2020.
- Paper. Households that have not responded via the online questionnaire or phone method will receive a paper form in mid-April.
COVID-19 and The Census
Due to the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak, the Census Bureau has suspended all field operations (door-to-door visits to households that have yet to respond) and adjusted the Census 2020 schedule. The Self-Response (online, mail, or by phone self-responses) period will continue through October 31st. Census takers will interview households in person from August 11th through October 31st