ELECTIONS AND VOTING
Board of Elections and Registration
The Stephens County Board of Elections will be having their monthly meeting Sept. 3 at 5pm at the old Historic Courthouse 37 W. Tugalo St. all citizens of Toccoa and Stephens County are welcome to attend.
The Board of Elections and Registration serves as Stephens County Election Superintendent and Board of Registrars. As required by state law, the board meets on the first Thursday of each month at 5pm on the second floor of the Stephens County Historic Courthouse. The office is open from 8am to 5pm weekdays.
The board is made up of three members: one appointee from the Republican Party, one appointee from the Democratic Party and the Chief Registrar appointed by the Chief Judge of the Superior Court. The Board is not responsible for setting office policy, but is responsible for the duties it must accomplish as the Election Superintendent and the Board of Registrars. Board members serve four year terms.
Office duties are performed by the election superintendent . They manage the voter registration and election process for all elections conducted in the county, including city elections by contract. Their duties include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting voter education
- Maintaining an accurate list of voters by processing voter registration applications and deleting records
- Providing fair and impartial service to candidates and voters
- Supplying the Board with the information needed to fulfill its duties
- Conducting each election in an efficient and legal manner using both State and Federal Laws as a guideline
The Georgia Secretary of State’s website contains information that can be very helpful to concerned citizens and voters. Among other useful items, a voter registration application as well as an Application for Official Absentee/Advance Ballot can be downloaded from this site. You can check your voter registration status and precinct location along with tracking your absentee ballot by using My Voter Page.
- Link to Georgia My Voter Page
- Download Voter Registration Application
- Download Application for Official Absentee/Advance Ballot