Recycling is the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products. Recycling can benefit your community and the environment.
Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators;
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials;
- Saves energy;
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change;
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations;
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States.
What can be recycled in Stephens County?
- Metal Cans - steel, tin and aluminum soda cans, vegetable, fruit and tuna/meat cans.
- Plastic bottles and containers #102
- Paper - brown paper bags, non-confidential office papers, newspaper and magazines.
- Cardboard and paperboard, flattened
Things you can do to ensure quality material is recycled:
- DO NOT INCLUDE: Food waste, plastic bags, polystyrene foam cups and containers or glass
- Paper and cardboard must be dry and free of food debris.
- Paper food containers must be rinsed out, no caps.
- Tissues, paper towels or other paper that has been in contact with food is not acceptable.
- Make sure food contamination and caps are removed from cans and plastics and all containers are empty.
- Keep medical waste (syringes, needles) out of recycling containers or place in safe disposal containers .
Download Recycle Often, Recycle Right information sheet