County Extension Service
The Cooperative Extension Service is a partnership in outreach education funded by federal, state and local governments. The program is administered in Georgia by county extension agents from the University of Georgia (UGA) and Fort Valley State University.
County agents rely on research-based information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Stations, and faculty from the two universities. The Cooperative Extension Service began in 1914 as a mechanism to teach farmers and their families how to improve their quality of life. Today it delivers education throughout the state in agricultural and environmental sciences, family and consumer sciences, 4-H and youth development, and related areas.
The Georgia 4-H Club started in 1904 in Newton County as a countywide boys' corn club. Club work for girls began in Hancock County in 1906 and consisted of garden clubs, tomato clubs, and canning clubs. By 1911 more than 1,500 girls were active in the pre-4-H Club activities.
In 1924 the nation's first state 4-H camp, Camp Wilkins, was built on the University of Georgia campus. The Georgia Extension Service opened the world's largest youth camp — Rock Eagle 4-H Center — in 1955. Almost half a million Georgia 4-H'ers have experienced Rock Eagle camping.
Stephens County Agent Forrest Connelly is a native of Eufaula, AL. He earned his B.S. Degree from the University of Georgia as well as his Masters Degree from UGA. Forrest has been the County Extension Coordinator in Stephens County since 2006. His program area responsibilities are primarily Agriculture and Natural Resources. Stephens County has more than $70 million infarming income. Poultry, livestock, and hay production are the constant for most producers. He has a local radio program on WNEG Radio as well as a weekly newspaper column.
Phone 706-779-5501 Fax 706-779-5511 Cell 706-716-0346